Tuesday, February 21, 2012

2-19-12 Unfair VS Fair in a 6 & 9 years old minds.



Yesterday was such an eventful day.  We started out early, with Brian being called out to work, he is on call this weekend.  Then I was left to get the girls ready for the day, breakfast, brush teeth an hair, dressed and preparing the morning and of course Wii bickering.  lol

It was also the day that we started lil B's Science Fair Project. She will be trying to see what color birds are attracted to.  So Brian and lil B will be making bird feeders, of course an additional feeder for AM, she can't be left out, even if it's school work.

AM and I are going to be making "Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies".  They were really good, not enough chocolate I would even say, but they were good.  But of course I don't have all the ingredients, I have to run out.  I return just in time for Brian to get called out again.  So, I have to hear from lil B how unfair it is that AM gets to help cook and she doesn't.  And then I send her to play the Wii by herself and I hear AM with that's unfair she gets to play without me.  I explained to AM that when lil B is back working on her school project she can play the Wii when we are finished with our project in the kitchen.  Holy Moly's did I open the UNFAIR box.  lil B comes hollering in that's NOT FAIR!  Really?  I am the nut here.  So I go into the "Is it fair that AM should do nothing because you are working a project that you have no choice but do for school?"  Response:  Well, she doesn't have to play the Wii!   Wow, was all that could come out of my mouth!

That was Saturdays, unfair world, and to note AM and I did other stuff than play the Wii.  Mostly, because we knew that today was going to really cold and rainy and wouldn't be going outside, so the girls would be playing a lot!

And I was right, Wii came out.  Yesterday and today lil B had been wanting to play different games, well that means new games.  AM is not a coordinated as lil B, so the different games are taking her a while to learn and lil B is kicking her butt, game after game.  Well, I have mother that has pounded into my head that is NOT fun to lose every time you play, so we kids had to let her win sometimes.  I grew up in a very competitive household, let some one win???  Really!  Ok, NOT!  lol

So I was trying to explain this logic to lil B, who could in all honesty be my little sister, lol.  Lil B understood a little bit but she is bored with Mario Cart all the time.  So, I decided, TIMER TIME.  Each get the Wii for 15 minutes at a time, when the timer is up, that's it, change, no wait until the game is over, just reset the game and move away.

I thought this was the perfect answer to cranky, cooped up girls.  Well, I was so wrong!  I must be from Jupiter and girls must be from Mars (and yes I am female!).  AM has a problem with this.  She thinks her sister should play the easy games with her.  I was like, are you kidding me?  Her Daddy says, just turn the thing OFF!  I quickly interrupted and said, we really have to learn how to work through this.  Either they both play and take turns choosing games, or they get the game alone.  Of course and no surprise to me, AM wants to play and take turns, lil B wants to it alone.

I understand both.  AM wants someone to play with.  Lil B wants to play challenging games and she is already beyond frustrated with her sister.  So really the only solution is to separate them.  And then here comes the 'That's UNFAIR' from AM!  In her 6 yr old mind it was fair for her sister to have to play the games that she could play, it didn't matter lil B wanted to be challenged and was frustrated.  Nope she just couldn't see passed herself.  So, that's when the adult gets to say, sorry baby, you're being unfair and since you are getting a bad attitude about it, lil B goes first.

lil B got her 15 minutes, had a blast and then that was all she needed, she gave the Wii up and her sister played for more than an hour.  lil B came in the room with me, I gave her some love and then hooked up with pinterest.com.  Probably not the best to hook a 9 yr on this site already, but it's harmless and so fun!  Made her happy and peaceful.

Sometimes all you have to do is take the attention away from the object and they forget.  An hour later they were back together playing with their stuffed animals.  So peace was returned to the cold, clammy, rainy day.

The picture above I took was because I have certain things that I expect the girls to do on Sunday before they leave to go to their mom's.  They are old enough I don't fill I should have to do everything for them.  So, they have to get dressed, brush teeth and hair, put their dirty clothes away and put their room back together.  There room isn't perfect, but perfection is not what I seek for small children.  They made a great effort and did an outstanding job and I'm proud of them.  Good job girls!  Love ya both so very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment